Saturday, August 7, 2010

working out with iron

Today is August 7 2010- I've decided to chronicle my adventures in kettlebell training. I remember hearing about kettlebells a long time ago but never really gave them much thought. Like most people I had the vision of large muscle men lifting gigantic cannon balls with handles (which is essentially what a kettlebell looks like), but never thought of them as a form of fitness for myself until just this year.

I was watching an episode of Entertainment Tonight Canada and the hostess Cheryl Hickey was doing a segment about how she got back into shape after her baby. Low and behold she mentioned the word again, "kettlebells" . I was glued to the TV , recorded the segment and then headed straight to my computer to google the word kettlebell. Somehow I found out about a woman named Lauren Brooks... This woman changed my view of fitness forever. If you want to know about her go to http://www.ontheedgefitness.com/. I instantly went ahead and ordered all 3 of her DVD's (and have since purchased a 4th , anticpating her next DVD in the works). She is amazing , small framed and mighty she is. She knows her stuff and I trusted her immediately.

I started calling around looking for a place to buy a kettlebell, almost every place I called answered me with "a what?" ... I tried to explain to them what it is and they still had no idea. After much calling around , I finally found a sporting goods store that sold kettlebells. I was scared to start out too heavy, so I went for a 15lb for my first kettlebell. Boy was I fooled, it didn't take long to realize that a 15 lb kettlebell is way too light and went for a 20 and a 25 and now have a 30 lb kettlebell. I sold my 15lb kettlebell and never looked back.

A month ago I finally quit my gym membership and am now strictly using kettlebells as my main method of working out. I cannot tell you how invigorated and how pumped I feel while doing kettlebells and after working out , it's the best feeling.

Aside from doing my DVD's from Lauren Brooks, myself and a group of 6 other women meet twice a week for a 45 minute outdoor session with Julie, our trainer. She's a certified kettlebell instructor and she's fantastic. I love being pushed to the limits and beyond and leave feeling like I really had a great workout, best workout I've ever done. I have yet to become bored or not look forward to going and am in my second month now. I will never give up kettlebells. Anyone in the Halifax NS area looking for a great instructor visit http://blog.juliemacfitness.com/ . I recommend her!

I'll be updating on my workouts and taking some before/during photos soon. Stay tuned :


in good health,
Terri

No comments:

Post a Comment